Director/Editor of the Rio Grande Catholic Newspaper
Diocese of El Paso, El Paso, TX
The Diocese of El Paso has an immediate Job Opening for Director/Editor of the Rio Grande Catholic.
Job Summary: The Communications Director develops, implements, and maintains a wide range of public relation activities to provide an effective public information program for the Diocese of El Paso. Serves as Editor and Manager of the Rio Grande Catholic Newspaper and other media outreach.
Immediate Supervisor: Bishop, Moderator of the Curia and/or Chancellor
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Mange daily operations and staffing for the Rio Grande Catholic Newspaper and Communications Office. Use effective and appropriate supervision and management techniques to maximize employee morale and effectiveness.
- Prepare media campaigns for newspapers, radio, and television.
- Write news releases, speeches, and reports as necessary.
- Develop and maintain communication plans for various diocesan campaigns, both internal and external.
- Provide diocesan leadership with information and support in issues in interest to the media and public.
- Coordinate official diocesan functions for the Bishop and write scripts for video projects and/or press conference as necessary.
- Work with other departments on announcements, media protocol and advice.
- Act as the official spokesperson with the media to provide a response to issues.
- Responsible for budget development, implementation and monitoring.
- Oversee recordings for the diocese including audio and visual.
- Assist diocesan offices and parishes with crisis management and media management.
- Maintain a work schedule that maximizes availability to parishes, diocesan staff and other customers.
- Attends Staff Retreats
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor(s)
Responsible for ensuring that the content is managed and updated at all times.
Coordinate with ministries and content users with regard to the Web site look and feel, functionality and make improvement recommendations to Diocesan site.
Prepare a long term plan for Web site development and presence, including standards and guidelines for content, based on Diocesan needs.
- Knowledge of planning, public relations and legislative advocacy.
- Knowledge of not-for-profit tax exempt organizational operations.
- Knowledge of the teachings and structure of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Knowledge of theology and liturgical terms, language and usage.
- Knowledge of organizational leadership and team building skills.
- Knowledge of project management techniques.
- Knowledge of video, audio recording and editing software and equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, positive relations with all segments of the community.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing, clearly and accurately, complex and/or technical information to a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to operate various word-processing software, spreadsheets, and database programs.
- Ability to work effectively with other (staff, clergy, religious and laity).
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and utilize effective time management techniques.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to carry out multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to follow instructions furnished in verbal or written format.
- Ability to read, write, and speak both English and Spanish.
Bachelor’s degree in media or journalism from an accredited university.
Five year’s work experience in communications or related public relations role
Anyone wishing to apply should complete an application and submit with a resume and cover letter to the Director of HR: Patricia López Fierro , Chancellor / Director of Human Resources : firstname.lastname@example.org